What is Blue Green Algae?
Fundamental to many of our products is one of the best blue-green algae in the world. What makes this miracle of nature so important? Scientists have known about algae as a food source and nutritional supplement for hundreds of years. They have studied different forms of algae from almost every point on earth.
Where is it harvested?
One very nutritious type of algae is known as “blue-green algae” (Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae or AFA). The highest quality blue-green algae come from the Upper Klamath Lake in the Cascade Mountains, Southern Oregon, USA. Fed by no less than seventeen pure mountain streams and geothermal springs, this ancient lake boasts ten metres of mineral deposits and has the most mineral rich alkaline waters on Earth. Here is where AquaSource harvest their algae; the place where Nature’s most complete and balanced food grows. The algae found here has many remarkable properties & nothing equals its nutritional profile. On a gram for gram basis, it is a rich source of a wide range of nutrients.
*AquaSource Algae as Superfood
Our algae is now recognised as a Superfood. This means that it is an extremely nutrient-rich, efficient food source that supplies significant amounts of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals. In addition to being an extremely efficient source of nutrition, Superfoods may also help reduce the risk of chronic disease, aid in the natural recovery process of the body and help prolong a more productive lifestyle.
Key Nutritional Elements & Benefits Include:
- Vitamin B12 – Increases energy & reduces fatigue, supports a healthy digestive system, supports the nervous system and normal cognitive function.
- Vitamin B5 – Aids your metabolism, helps maintain healthy skin, supports your nervous system to help reduce stress.
- Vitamin C – Reduces fatigue as well as contributes to better cognitive function. It is essential to your immune system. It is also necessary for collagen, the main structural protein found in connective tissue.
- Vitamin E – protects the cells from oxidative stress.
- Iron – Essential to the formation of haemoglobin. It is also necessary for good muscle function. Iron also contributes to better cognitive function.
The drying process, done differently
AquaSource’s BioActive Dehydration® process is a proprietary drying process that dehydrates algae to a powder with virtually no degradation of nutritional elements, colour, aroma or flavour. In conventional drying techniques, the primary cause of degradation is exposure to high temperature.
Using BioActive Dehydration® process, temperature never exceeds 40.5 C (105 F) and exceeds the normal human body temperature of 37 C (98.6 F) for less than two minutes.
The graph illustrates exact and estimated product temperature over 4 minutes for the most common algae drying processes. Results can vary with operating procedures.